Pardon Our Dust

Our site is currently under construction. Please check back soon!

Search Kingland Design & Media

Monday, September 13, 2010

Homecoming 2010



The Dixie 100 Blog was originally launched to serve as Dixie High's centennial blog/website. I created these graphics in celebration of our centennial homecoming. Homecoming and D Week were meant to be the main highlights of The Dixie 100 Blog. But during that week the blog received so many hits and so much notice from students and staff that I began to realize the potential to expand the blog to include all activities at Dixie High.

I worked with Ms. Bridget, Dixie High librarian, to work on creating an official blog for the high school that highlighted activities throughout the year. The goal changed from highlighting activities that were strictly meant for the centennial, to highlighting and documenting the entire centennial year.

I carried a lot of my experience from The Forever Strong Blog to create content catered towards high school students. I tried to find engaging content that would give students a reason to continue visiting the blog after Homecoming Week. I quickly noticed that pictures were a huge hit on the blog. Therefore I changed the purpose of the blog from a site that focused on notices, articles, and written content, to something that could capture audiences visually. I became the one and only blog photographer.

I began attending all assemblies and all activities that I could to take pictures and document the centennial year through photographs. In some cases, I took more pictures and covered events better than the Yearbook Staff. Many of the photos that I used and that appeared on the blog would later appear in the Yearbook.

As part of Homecoming Week, the staff at Dixie received new staff shirts, for which they asked me to take a picture of to put on the new blog. I took the picture and then edited it to make the blue stand out, and then added the wording around it. This also sparked my interest in documenting the year through photos. The copy of this picture is now in the Faculty Lounge at Dixie High.

No comments:

Post a Comment